Sweet Blackberry is a non-profit company founded by actress, writer, producer, and mother, Karyn Parsons. The company is dedicated to using the power of the media to teach, by bringing to life little known stories of African American achievement that inspire and empower young children.
The creation of Sweet Blackberry was inspired by a true tale that Karyn’s mother read to her about a determined slave named Henry “Box” Brown and the remarkable lengths he went to in order to find his freedom. The story left an indelible impression on Karyn. But as amazing as Henry’s story might be, she realized that over time it had been largely forgotten.
The birth of her first child and her awareness of her own responsibility as a parent to supplement her child’s education, inspired Karyn to create Sweet Blackberry. Sweet Blackberry’s mission is to ensure that Henry’s tale and other incredible stories of African-American achievement will not be lost to history. “The Journey of Henry Box Brown” was one of the first stories created into a DVD by Sweet Blackberry.
It is our mission at Sweet Blackberry to share, through DVDs, books, and other media, triumphant stories of individuals surmounting the odds and making invaluable contributions to our society. These stories help illustrate for our children the concept that tremendous obstacles are actually opportunities for greatness.
By harnessing the power of the media to teach, the Sweet Blackberry Foundation offers parents and educators an opportunity to plant seeds that inspire the soul.
- Address200 E 10th St, # 919, New York, New York 10003
- CategoryBooks, Education, For Kids, Mass Media, Non-profits & Organizations, Online Shopping
- LocationNew York, New York
- TagsAfrican American history, animated films, black history, books, cartoon, creative, dvd, film making, inventions, inventors, school visit, stories, story-telling, writing
- By Brittiany D
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org