Black Girls CODE is a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching girls ages 7-17 about computer programming and digital technology.
Our mission is to empower and mentor young women of color by highlighting the achievement of women in technology and thereby encourage them to embrace the current tech marketplace as builders and content creators.
Although the digital divide is steadily eroding, tremendous barriers to entry in the technology field still remain for women of color.
Early access and exposure are essential to changing the status quo. Through a combination of workshops and field trips, Black Girls Code is providing girls with new skills in computer programming, introducing them to role models in the technology space, and building their confidence to become tech creators and entrepreneurs.
And we’re having big fun along the way. Here are just a few of the events and programs we’ve been a part of since our launch. Plenty more are coming up, so stay tuned.
2014 Shorty Award in Science
2012 Bank of the West Innovation in Philanthropy Award
- AddressP.O. Box 640926, San Francisco, California 94164
- CategoryBlog, For Kids, Non-profits & Organizations, Online Community
- LocationCalifornia, San Francisco
- Tagsapp building, app design, camp, code, coding, css, hackathon, html, technology
- By Brittiany D
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org